Some people alter images just for the fun of it, while others use Photoshop as a professional tool. Purchasing Photoshop software for the former might be a nasty experience. It’s recommended to look for Photoshop alternatives for PCs or mobile devices that are both dependable and free. Professionals, on the other hand, require the best in terms of quality and industry standards. As a result, they search for the best Photoshop alternatives available.
Check Out the 15 Photoshop Alternatives (Free) for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Web:
1. Canva (Web, Free)
Canva is a newly released free Photoshop alternative that has garnered a lot of attention due to its excellent image editing capabilities, appealing design components, and ease of use.
Features of Canva
- Lifetime free with lots of resources
- Designing- Has a plethora of layouts, fonts, and stock photographs, all to help you design.
- Minimal time- You can design an invitation card, a birthday card, a business card, or maybe a blog image within no time.
- Social Media Marketing & Brand building- It offers tools to help you and your enterprise with marketing and branding.
Canva Pricing Plans
- Free– It has 250,000+ free templates, 100+ design types, 1000+ graphics, along with free 5GB cloud storage.
- Pro– Available at $12.95/month for up to 5 persons, the plan offers 420,000+ templates, 75+ million premium stock of photos, videos, etc., and 100GB cloud storage.
- Enterprise: You can buy this plan at $30.00/month/person wherein you get additional benefits of team access and uploading features, unlimited storage facilities, 24X7 enterprise-level support, and Single-Sign-On (SSO) features.
2. Apple Photos (iOS, Free)
Apple Photos, like Google Photos, is the finest Photoshop replacement for Mac users. The app was created specifically for iOS devices (iPhone/iPad) and allows you to modify and share your picture-perfect moments.
Features of Apple Photos
- Straightforward editing, fine-tuning, and sharing
- Years and months highlight: The app helps you relive your past moments captured on your Apple devices.
- Intelligent Curation: The artificial intelligence of Photoshop alternative helps to remove redundant pictures and automatically curates by removing screenshots and receipts. It enhances your photography viewing experience. Also, AI generates better previews.
- Memories: The library enables you to find and locate specific pictures quickly.
- Intelligent search suggestion
- A smart suggestion for your most shareable pictures
- Direct sharing to your Messages: The AI determines whom you are texting messages to and may suggest sharing specific pictures from the Apple Photos cloud.
Apple Photos Pricing Plans
The Apple Photos app is included with every iOS device you purchase. You start with a 5GB cloud storage space. You must upgrade your plan from your iPhone, iPad, Mac, or PC if you require more. You can purchase the storage capacity listed below, or upgrade to the Family Sharing plan to share the 2TB plan with your family. Consider the following monthly cost options:
- Get 50GB cloud space at $0.99.
- 200 GB cloud storage at $2.99.
- 2TB storage at $9.99
3. GIMP (Linux, Windows & Mac, Free)
GIMP is the greatest option if you’re seeking for a free Photoshop replacement for Linux, Windows, or Mac. It’s a widely used programme for image editing, graphic design, and illustration work, among other things. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Application) is a free and open-source image manipulation programme. Beginners who do not require a high level picture editing programme will benefit the most from this app.
Features of GIMP
- Library of Plugins
- High-quality photo manipulation
- Original artwork creation that lets professional designers and artists add a touch of realism to their works.
- Color Management feature: The app also helps in high-fidelity color reproduction across the digital print. It lets you work on apps such as Scribus, Inkscape, and SwatchBooker.
- Multiple add-on features that are downloadable to help you.
- GIMP offers layers of masks and various filters for editing.
- It supports many file formats. This feature enables you to be flexible with the majority of works.
GIMP Pricing Plans
- GIMP is a free open-source Photoshop alternative.
4. Pixelmator (Mac-supportive, Paid)
Pixelmator is a top-rated Photoshop replacement that is only available for Mac users. The app, like Adobe Photoshop, can let you fix an existing photo or create something entirely new utilising the tool’s powerful features.
Features of Pixelmator
- Comfortable typing in various shapes- on a circle, path, etc.
- Canvas rotation to any angle
- The welcome screen enables you to open images and create one easily.
- The latest version supports RAW images- edit multiple photos as layers in a single document.
- Easily create layouts with the Arrange Tool
- Dynamic painting with the help of Metal 2 graphics technology and Dynamic Paint Blending technology.
- The software supports real-time, blockbuster effects.
- It has a free trial of 30 days.
Pixelmator Pricing Plans
- You can buy the latest version, Pixelmator Pro (rated 4.8 on App Store) at $39.99.
5. Acorn (Mac-based, Paid)
Acorn may be the finest option for image editing if you’re seeking for a Photoshop alternative for MacOS 10.11 and later. It is ideal for both novices and professionals and can work with RAW photos.
Features of Acorn 6
- Add text on different shapes by using Acorn’s shape tools.
- Smart layer export from 1x to 5x.
- Enhanced clone tools to clone layers, shapes, groups, and images.
- Improvised web export window enables you to zoom, scale, convert color profile, and remove/retain image metadata.
- Has multiple layer styles, effects, filters, and powerful image capabilities
- Sharing and file support
- Acorn 6 has various tools such as customizable stamps, clones, live gradients, drag-and-drop, color picker, etc.
Acorn 6 Pricing Plans
- Rated 4.6 on the App Store, you can buy Acorn 6 at $29.99.
6. Darkatable (Windows, Mac, & Linux, Free)
Darkatable is a free open-source photo editing tool that can be used to develop raw photographs and improve them like an expert. It offers a low-key user interface and a zoomable lighttable for managing and viewing digital negatives.
Features of Darkatable
- Professional Color Management: Instant correcting colors, applying filters, adjusting brightness, and contrast.
- GPU accelerated image processing: Helps in run-time detection with its OpenCL support.
- Filtering & Sorting
- Zoomable, Zero-latency UI
- Tethered shooting- Helps in-camera instrumentation
- Language support- Supports 21 languages
- Powerful export system
- Fast Database
Darkatable Pricing Plans
- Darkatable, Photoshop alternative, is freely available for including Window, Mac, Linux, Debian, Solaris, FreeBSD, and many more.
7. Paint.NET (Windows, Free)
Paint.NET is a free Photoshop alternative for Windows users with rudimentary image editing features. It was created as a substitute for Windows Paint. Using the different in-built tools to edit images is simple and suited for novices.
Features of Paint.NET
- Intuitive and innovative UI
- Supports layers, special effects, unlimited undo, etc.
- Paint.NET offers tutorials for beginners.
- Provides plugins
- Known to be one of the swiftest image editors available in the industry with quick response time and fast core processor-support.
- Free and automated updates.
Paint.NET Pricing Plans
- Paint.NET doesn’t cost a dime! It’s a free Photoshop alternative for beginners.
8. Pixlr (Web, Free)
Pixlr is a popular and unique picture editing tool that allows you to design photographs using your web browsers like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox without having to install any software. Canva and Pixlr are comparable.
Features of Pixlr
- Smarter tools– The app offers many tools for essential as well as intelligent adjustments such as cutting out a strand of hair without much effort.
- Faster editing time giving an aesthetic photo effect
- You can enjoy more accessible content creation from the well-equipped library of graphics, stickers, decorative texts, etc.
- It offers two varieties- the playful Pixlr X and the advanced Pixlr E. At the same time, the former allows basic editing features; the latter enables advanced and detailed image-editing tools and resources.
Pixlr Pricing Plans
- Free: The free version lets you access both Pixlr X and E with limited sets of overlays, stickers, and editing tools. Also, the free version of Pixlr shows annoying ads.
- Premium: Available at $7.99/month and if you switch to the yearly subscription you can purchase Pixlr at $4.99/month enjoying extensive features. The Premium version of Pixlr is ad-free.
- Creative Pack: You can buy the pack at $29.99/month or enjoy a 50% discount by paying yearly at $14.99/month. Enjoy free access to the stock of graphics, AI CutOut, 24×7 premium support, etc.
9. Photopea (Web, Free)
Photopea is a free alternative to Photoshop that supports a wide range of file formats. Its goal is to provide the most advanced and cost-effective photo-editing tools available. To use Photopea, you don’t need to install it on your computer or smartphone. To begin utilising this online-based advanced picture editing software, simply open your web browser.
Features of Photopea
- Supports PSD, XCF, Sketch, XD, and CDR formats
- Export- Saves work as PSD, JPG, PNG, or SVG files.
- Supports necessary adjustments, making selections, and layer editing in minimum time.
- Photopea has various tools- brush tools, smart, and advanced tools for editing.
- Also supports text style, animations, raster, and vector graphics.
- The free version supports ads.
- Photopea requires a stable internet connection.
- No download or installation required.
Photopea Pricing Plans
- Photopea is available for free to use and that’s what makes it the best Photoshop alternative.
10. Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021 (OS X and Windows, Paid)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021, a smart editing tool that impart life to your photos, is the newly improved Photoshop alternative. It leverages Adobe Sensei AI technology to categorise and find your photos and videos using Smart tagging, facial recognition, and other methods.
Features of Photoshop Elements 2021
- Intelligent editing using the Adobe Sensei AI technology
- Automatically colorize, fine-tune face tilts, add motion to static images, adjust facial features, and many more.
- Step-by-step 58 guided edits on moving, scaling, creating modern duotones, merging multiple photos into one, etc.
- Creating and sharing with quote graphics.
- Built-in prints and gift services.
- An automatic organization with auto-tagging and auto-curating features.
- A free trial is available for Photoshop Elements 2021.
Photoshop Elements 2021 Pricing Plans
- Single: Buy it for $99.99 with the complete photo editing software tools. You can upgrade it to the advanced version by paying an additional fee of $79.99.
- Bundle: Buy the bundle, i.e. both Photoshop Elements 2021 and its Premiere version available at $149.99 and save $50.00. You can upgrade it at $119.99.
11. PicMonkey (Web-based, Free)
In the year 2021, PicMonkey is one of the most popular Photoshop replacements. It gives you the feeling of making a scrapbook out of all of your disorganised photos and selecting the best one. Its easy-to-use design makes it feel like you’re working on a scrapbook.
Because PicMonkey is a web-based application, all you have to do is go to their website, make an account, and begin editing your photos. Start with a blank canvas or drag a photo you want to alter. Design in whatever way you like.
Features of PicMonkey
- Advanced filters and designing tools
- PicMonkey offers YouTube and Instagram designing elements such as mind-blowing thumbnails, cover images, and many more.
- Offers 8000+ graphics, thousands of templates, millions of stock photos, etc. which are vector-based and allows infinite customization.
- Helps in branding and marketing on Facebook, Instagram, etc. offering ‘n’ number of logos, fonts, and color options.
- You can also enjoy premium features for 7 days for free.
PicMonkey Pricing Plans
- Basic: Available at $7.99/month, you can enjoy a 25% rebate if you opt for an annual billing of $72.00. The Basic plan is best suitable for rising creators.
- Pro: The plan is available at $12.99/month or $120.00 per annum if billed annually. The Pro plan offers you an additional benefit of unlimited storage and brand fonts, convenient for growing businesses.
- Team: Your enterprise can switch to the Team plan at $33.99/month or $300.00 annually and enjoy the power of Pro with unlimited cloud storage.
12. inPixio (Windows, Mac, Android, Paid)
inPixio Photo Studio 10 is a Mac and Windows image editing software that may be used as a real Photoshop alternative. It’s noted for its simple yet modern user interface, and it’s also compatible with mobile devices (separate mobile app versions available). Originally, it was a collection of software such as Photo Editor, Photo Focus, Photo Clip, Photo Eraser, Photo Maximizer, Photo Cutter, and so on.
Features of inPixio Photo Studio 10
- Design impressive photomontages
- Has advanced features for background editing
- Offers many options for layers and photo templates
- inPixio Photo Studio 10 allows Photo stitching, red-eye correction, digital retouching, HD image outcome, and color correction, amongst other image editing features.
- Crop, resize, texture overlay, preset effects, adjust contrast and tint, and many more adjustments
- You can also download the trial and get to know before making a decision.
inPixio Photo Studio 10 Pricing Plans
- Free Version is only compatible with Windows PC.
- inPixio Photo Studio 10: This is the basic version of the software which you can buy at $49.99 one time.
- inPixio Photo Studio 10 Professional: This is the Pro version of the application which offers you a free trial as well. Buy this plan at $59.99 only. With this version, you can get access to all the features such as one-click image correction.
13. Polarr (iOS, Android Mac & Windows, Free)
Polarr is a free, professional, and easy-to-use Photoshop replacement that comes with a variety of filters and themes to help users perfect their photos with a single click. You may also develop your own filters in the Pro edition and save them as templates for subsequent use. Beginners will find it easy to enhance their learning curve with skin modification capabilities because to the user interface’s simplicity.
Features of Polarr
- The free version offers you adjustment features of light settings, color, image-detail, effects, vignette, curves, toning, grains, HSL, and Lens.
- The Pro version, however, offers you LUT, Denoise, Perspective, Masks, Premium filters, and much more additionally.
- Customization, workstation, 3D touching, orientation, etc.
- Members enjoy the premium benefits of filter sync, overlays, simulation, color mask, premium filters, and batch exports.
Polarr Pricing Plans
- Monthly Plan: You can buy this plan at $3.99/month
- Yearly Plan: Be billed annually by paying $2.49/month. Also, you get the first month free. Hallelujah!
14. PhotoScape X (Windows, Mac, Free & Paid)
PhotoScape X is a trustworthy Photoshop replacement for graphic designers as well as a simple, easy-to-use image editor. bIt has filters and editing tools to help you improve the quality of your photos while also inspiring you to be more creative.
Features of PhotoScape X
- Compatible with Windows 10 (version 1709 and later) and Mac 10.12 and later.
- All-in-one photo editing software that helps in viewing, editing, collaging, creating a GIF, screen capturing and also offers RAW image processing as well as batch editing.
- Also helps in
- Split Image
- Batch Format Change
- Batch Resize, etc.
- Cut Out backgrounds
- PhotoScape X offers 1000+ stickers, 240+ figures, 20+ lens flare, and many more exciting effects and filtering options.
PhotoScape X Pricing Plans
- Free version: Also known as PhotoScape X, is totally free to use with limited features.
- Paid Version: Known as PhotoScape X Pro, you can buy the plan here at $39.99 and enjoy the advanced features.
15. Photo Pos Pro V 3.0 (Windows, Free)
Photo Pos Pro V 3.0 is one of the most popular Photoshop alternatives for Windows, with over 10 million downloads. It has both a free and a paid subscription that includes a variety of tools and graphic designs for image enhancement and editing.
Features of Photo Pos Pro V 3.0
- Easily removes, replaces, and erases backgrounds and unwanted objects
- Offers frames and collage options
- Offers advanced photo effects, text effects, and improves poor pictures
- Supports RAW files
- Extremely intuitive and user-friendly UI
- Has great extension packs, plugins that are updated from time to time.
- Photo Pos Pro V 3.0 offers smart selections, painting & drawing, red-eye corrections, etc.
- It comes to the aid for a professional too with its unending possibilities for Digital Image Enhancement and Computer Graphics.
- Works fine on Windows Vista/ XP/ 7/ 8/ 10; also on Mac after installing Windows Apps emulator.
Photo Pos Pro V 3.0 Pricing Plans
- You can buy the premium edition license at $49.90, presently available at $34.90 only. Pay once in your life, and enjoy the experience of turning digital pictures into stunning artworks.
- You will also get free updates and a one-year Premium support level. You can again move the software from your old computer to another.
We’ve compiled a list of the top 15 Photoshop alternatives for Windows, Mac, Linux, and other operating systems, as well as their features and costs. You can always use a free Photoshop alternative for Mac, Windows, or your current operating system. Canva, PicMonkey, and Photopea are examples of web-based picture editing tools. If you’re a pro, seek for one of the advanced Photoshop alternatives that has the features you need while staying within your budget. I hope this material has helped you make an informed decision.